Fireworks Laws

Spirit of ’76 Wholesale Fireworks executes all orders with the condition that the purchaser will use the fireworks legally. Please be aware of and abide by fireworks laws where you will be possessing and shooting fireworks. 

In the United States, the laws governing consumer fireworks vary widely from state to state, and from county to county. Be sure to check your state and local laws for regulations governing the possession, distribution or shooting of fireworks.

Spirit of ’76 sells only consumer fireworks that have been approved by the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) for consumer use. Fireworks that do not meet this certification are classified as commercial (display) fireworks and require a Federal license to purchase and use. Consumer fireworks are those fireworks devices formerly classed as “Class C Common Fireworks” and now classed as “Fireworks 1.4G” by the U.S. Department of Transportation [Title 49, Code of Federal Regulations, Part 173.56 (j)]. State laws may vary as to what types of devices are deemed to be “fireworks” under state law. As a result, the responsibility for complying with State and local laws falls upon you (the buyer/purchaser).

Consumer fireworks include cone fountains, cylindrical fountains, roman candles, sky rockets, firecrackers, mines and shells, helicopter-type rockets, certain sparklers and revolving wheels.

The American Pyrotechnics Association has compiled a  Directory of State Laws  summarizing legal requirements. State laws change all the time and it is possible that the information presented on the APA site is not current or accurate. To be absolutely sure of the laws in your State regulating consumer fireworks, call your State Fire Marshal’s office. Spirit of ’76 is not responsible for errors, omissions, or inaccuracies that may be present in the data.

Click here to review the Directory of State Laws  .

Learn more about purchasing wholesale fireworks in our FAQ section.